Our annual Wardmote was held on Wednesday, 21 March 2018, courtesy of the Worshipful Company of Drapers in their magnificent Drapers’ Hall.
Just under 30 people attended for just under an hour. We discussed ward issues, most notably:
- Question from Roger Watts: “There seems to have been an increase in rough sleepers/vagrants in the City particularly around Moorgate. What are the Corporation doing?” Rough sleeping has risen around the country. We have anywhere from three to 35 in the City during any month. We handed out the helpline information, discussed one individual whom we have directly taken an interest in helping within the ward, and pointed out the depth of care available if we can get rough sleepers to accept it;
- Crime in the Ward: where we handed out both the current statistics (extremely low, and mostly petty theft);
- The Lord Mayor theme: “Building Trust”, and his booklet, “The Business of Trust“;
- Financial crime and scandals: where we presented a report provided by the City and the Alderman as part of this year’s Lord Mayor’s theme, “Building Trust”, sponsored by the Cardano Foundation and the Financial Services Group of Livery Companies:
|Get Smart About Scandals: Past Lessons For Future Finance||Professor Tim Connell and Bob McDowall||2018||
Long Finance (March 2018), 102 pages.
We made a number of announcements, most importantly John Scott’s imminent ascent to Chief Commoner next month, and pointed out that membership of Broad Street Ward Club is something truly worthwhile.
Christopher Hayward, in his role as Chairman of Planning & Transportation, discussed planned developments in our ward, as well as preliminary thoughts on the experimental closure of Bank junction. His presentation notes are here – Christopher Hayward CC – Wardmote 2018 – while his presentation slides are here – Christopher Hayward – Wardmote Presentation & Photos On Developments In Broad Street Ward 2018.
WARD OF BROAD STREET – WARDMOTE AGENDA 2018
Held at Drapers’ Hall, London EC2
at 12 noon on Wednesday 21st March 2018
- Procession In
- Opening of meeting – Proclamation by the Beadle
- Welcome by the Alderman
- Appointment of the Deputy by the Alderman for the year ensuing
- Appointment of the Honorary Ward Clerk for the year ensuing
- Addresses by Common Councilmen with questions and answers
- Additional questions to the Alderman and Common Councilmen (including pre-submitted questions)
- Overview of current and planned development projects in the Ward by Christopher Hayward CC
- Votes of thanks
- Close of the meeting – Proclamation by the Beadle
- Procession out
And closed with the millennia old cry from the Beadle:
OYEZ OYEZ OYEZ,
All ye good people of the Ward of Broad Street, summoned here to this Wardmote, may depart hence and give your attendance when again summoned. And hereof fail not.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
The formal minutes – 2018.03.21 Minutes – Broad St Wardmote – Drapers Hall